Thursday, September 16, 2010

Train observations

Today, on the train home, I sat beside a girl who must have called EVERY single person in her phone book during the 21 minutes it took to get from the station downtown to the first stop.
She's clearly one of those people... you know, the people who can't go without talking to or seeing another person for 21 minutes without feeling out of touch with the universe.
I am not one of those. I live by myself.. just the way I like it (trust me, I tried the roommate thing.. it lasted 2.5 months and I was done! But that's a whole different post).. I can go entire weekends without talking to anyone. Not on the phone, not online, not via text, not in person. And, most times, I'm completely fine with that. I like the alone, quiet, in-my-head times. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I feel like I need to communicate with someone! But then I just call home, or by bff, or go grocery shopping and talk to the cashier LOL (it counts!!)

I don't think that I'll ever be one of those people.
I watched this girl and: she'd dial a number.. wait.. hang up.. frantically (and this is the only word I can use to describe the way she was dialing) dial another number.. wait.. talk to someone.. they'd have to go (I could tell by listening to her side of the conversation. YES.. I'm an eavesdropper.. again, different post).. she'd put her phone down on the table.. take a sip of coffee.. pick up her phone.. frantically dial.. wait.. hang up.. frantically dial.. talk.. hang up.. phone down.. sip.. dial... wait... talk.. hang up..
This went on for 31 minutes (10 minutes prior to the train leaving the station and the 21 minute ride). I watched this girl who started looking like a smoker on a 20 hour flight. She looked agitated, itchy, frantic, while dialing and waiting.
I don't think that I'll ever be one of those people. I don't think that anyone should ever be that afraid of being alone with their own thoughts, being alone with the quiet, being out of touch with other people.

Perhaps my being okay with not talking to someone for two days isn't normal, but I don't think that having to talk to someone to stop the itching is normal either. Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment